The Tenney Story
Skiing at Tenney Mountain began back in the 1930s, with skiers making their way down the mountain however they could – often on logging roads (ah, the good old days!). Back then, Plymouth was a premier ski town, with non-stop train service from Boston starting in 1932.
After returning home from World War II, 10th Mountain Division Army veteran Sam Hall purchased Tenney Mountain with his eyes set on opening a full-service ski resort. The first formal set of trails were cut into Tenney Mountain in 1959, served by a T-bar lift.
It wasn’t until 1964 that a Stadeli double lift was hand-carried up the mountain and constructed, helping make Tenney the largest ski area in the region. The lift was dubbed “Hornet Double”, and to this day – with upgrades – the Hornet continues to carry skiers up the mountain.
Tenney expanded in the mid-1980s with the addition of the Eclipse triple chair lift, as well as new trails. The last couple of decades were a period of ups and downs for Tenney, with changing management and a series of rainy winters (no-one likes those) and the COVID pandemic (no-one liked that either), leading to some closed seasons.
The 2022-2023 season represents a major come-back for Tenney. The current owners, the North Country Development Group, have recently invested millions of dollars to revitalize Tenney Ski Mountain from top to bottom.